Saturday, October 30, 2010

Bourke St Bakery



How can a sausage roll be so good? The guys at Bourke St Bakery, Surry Hills, surely have perfected the technique in making the perfect sausage roll. For me, the perfect sausage roll, has to have the crispy and light pastry on the outside, and on the inside, the filling has to be moist and tasty.

I have been a big fan of sausage rolls ever since I set my self to reside in Australia around 15 years ago. My fond memories of the perfect sausage roll, was walking down the alley of my High School towards the "tuckshop." Back then, the school only had Mrs Macs line of Pies and Sausage Roll. I still remember, only on Tuesdays, is when the Sausage Rolls are perfect. Its because simply, the new stock just got delivered on Monday. Haha..

Back to Bourke St Bakery and enough of me venting out my childhood memories. My favourite filling has got to be Pork & Fennel. The aroma from the fennel is noticeable but not overpowering. It compliments the pork in the very best possible way. It has this slight "earthy-ness" to it. It seems that the filling isn't too complicated in terms of ingredients, and that's why I love it. Sometimes, you eat all of these posh Sausage Rolls from expensive Haute Cafes, yes they are lovely, but for me, simplicity has always been the way to go.

Scrunch down the paper bag, Squeeze the tomato sauce and Make the biggest crumbs mess in your life.

A must go for Pastry Lovers. They also have lots of others pastries in-store. I recommend their Carrot Cakes and Pain Au Chocolat.

0 comments:

Post a Comment