Monday, November 1, 2010

Phở at Xiclo Chatswood



Phở pronounced "fə̃" has always been one of my favorite dish since I have been growing up in Australia. For me, it brings back memories of street food in Indonesia, where I am from. The soup is amazingly intricate but very delicate at the same time. This goes the same to Phở or Thai's Boat Noodle. The taste of the stock needs to have that rich pork and beef flavors through it with a hint of herbs which includes ginger, cinnamon and many other herbs. I assume, to get the rich consistency, the stock would need to be cooked for hours. I would say, four hours minimum to get every single flavors out and transferred to the stock and trust me, Phở's stock would tingle your taste buds. If you have not tried Phở before, I would recommend you to try some! Try the basic beef ball if it is your first time, then if the taste suits you, I would recommend the Raw Beef Phở (My Favorite) and don't worry about the scary "Raw Beef" introduction to your delicate soup, because, the hot soup will eventually cook your beef to perfection, giving it the smoothest and most tender beef you will ever want. And for the last choice, I would say, you should try Special Beef Phở, this consists of many offal such as, tendons and tripe. If these sorta internal organs are up your alley, then this would be the Phở to be ordered during your next visit to a Phở parlour.

Today, for lunch, after many errands, I was craving for some Phở and decided to go to Xiclo Vietnamese Restaurant, in Chatswood, Sydney and ordered their Special Beef Phở. I have tried many Phở places across the country. My favourite has to be Bihn Min in Northbridge, Perth. But Xiclo has always tingled my palette every time I eat Phở at their restaurant. The stock is very tasty, sometimes, it is too tasty for my liking, too strong in terms of flavors, but they surely know how to make Phở. Yes there are many other Phở parlours through out Sydney, but most of them resides in Cabramatta or Bankstown and if you want a quick hit, those places can be a bit too far.

I recommend Xiclo for people who always wanted more flavors out of their stock. This restaurant makes a hell of a stock. For people who lives in the Northern Area of Sydney, you really might want to check this place out. Also for readers who reside in the City area, Xiclo has another restaurant opposite Market City, but for some odd reasons, customers are scarce every time I pass Xiclo's City Restaurant.

0 comments:

Post a Comment